Cummins: Bristol's Sports/Walk Park -
and was the second Town park acquired by Bristol in 1976 from
land donated to the Town by Howard Rush in the early 1970's.
The Park was named Centennial Park initially, although the name was
changed a few years later to honor Cloyce Cummins, a long-time Bristol
resident and former Bristol fireman and Chief.
At the east edge of the Park is a white picket fence which contains
the remaining graves from early Bristol pioneer families, like the Nicholsons
and Cathcarts, veterans of the Revoluntionary War and War of 1812. The
first burial was in the 1830's and the last in the 1850's.
Cummins Park is located in downtown Bristol directly behind the Elkhart County Historical
Museum/Rush Memorial Center on West Vistula Street (S.R. 120). It is a 3 acre plot that
edges the south side of the St. Joseph River.
The site has two lighted tennis courts with new nets, two basketball courts, a volleyball net, and one set of wooden playground equipment with a slide for younger children.
There is a an open shelter that can be used for picnics, but there are currently no
picnic tables in this park.South and west of the pavilon there is a a grassy area
and one grill and a pitcher pump.
The park offers a wooden view of the St. Joseph River accessible by foot, with
walking paths that lead to the river for viewing or fishing. The asphalt paved parking lot is used by both the Museum visitors, employees and Park visitors. There is a second parking area which is gravel and located directly south of the tennis courts. The Flintlock/Tomahawk re-inactment event is held here each August.
For information, call 574-848-7007. No reservations are required to use
these park facilities. Tennis and basketball courts are on a first come, first served basis.